According to the Norse sagas, Oslo was founded around 1049 by KingHarald Hardråde. Recent archaeological research however has uncovered Christian burials which can be dated to prior to AD 1000, evidence of a preceding urban settlement. This called for the celebration of Oslo’s millennium in 2000.
It has been regarded as the capital city since the reign of King Haakon V (1299–1319), the first king to reside permanently in the city. He also started the construction of the Akershus Castle. A century later, Norway was the weaker part in a personal union with Denmark, and Oslo’s role was reduced to that of provincial administrative centre, with the monarchs residing in Copenhagen. The fact that the University of Oslo was founded as late as 1811 had an adverse effect on the development of the nation.
Oslo was destroyed several times by fire, and after the fourteenth calamity, in 1624, King Christian IV of Denmark and Norway ordered it rebuilt at a new site across the bay, near Akershus Castle and given the name Christiania. Long before this, Christiania had started to establish its stature as a centre of commerce and culture in Norway. The part of the city built starting in 1624 is now often called Kvadraturen because of its orthogonal layout. The last plague outbreak in Oslo occurred in 1654. In 1814 Christiania once more became a real capital when the union with Denmark was dissolved.
Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, Oslo
This impressive Oslo hotel rises 22 stories and overlooks the stunning fjord. Only 500 meters from Karl Johans Gate, the hotel allows guests to conveniently access attractions and transport options. The stylish rooms and suites are perfect for relaxing and unwinding after a busy day, and the dining options are some of the best in the city. Utilize the fitness equipment for an effective workout, and book the event space for both business and personal events.
© 2015 The Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group. All rights reserved.
Many landmarks were built in the 19th century, including the Royal Palace (1825–1848); Stortinget (the Parliament) (1861–1866), the University, Nationaltheatret and the Stock Exchange. Among the world-famous artists who lived here during this period were Henrik Ibsen and Knut Hamsun (the latter was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature). In 1850, Christiania also overtook Bergen and became the most populous city in the country. In 1877 the city was renamed Kristiania. The original name of Oslo was restored in 1925.
The Center presents the Nobel Peace Prize laureates and their work, in addition to telling the story of Alfred Nobel and the other Nobel prizes. This is done using multimedia and interactive technology, exhibitions, meetings, debates, theater, concerts and conferences, as well as a broad educational program and regular guided tours.
The Nobel Peace Center is a foundation and part of a network of Nobel institutions represented externally by the Nobel Foundation, which also administers informational activities and arrangements surrounding the presentation of the Nobel Prize. Bente Erichsen is director of the Nobel Peace Center. Geir Lundestad is chairman of the Center’s board, which is appointed by the Norwegian Nobel Committee.
The Nobel Peace Center was opened in 2005 by HRH King Harald V of Norway in a ceremony attended by the royal families of Norway and Sweden. Nobel Peace Prize laureate Wangari Maathai was also present. The Center has since welcomed more than 400,000 visitors (as of 1 October 2009). The Nobel Peace Center is located in the former Oslo Vestbanestasjon (Oslo West railway station) building dating from 1872, which ceased to be used as a railway station in 1989. It is overlooking the harbor and located close to the Oslo City Hall where the Nobel Peace Prize Award Ceremony takes place every 10 December, to commemorate Alfred Nobel’s death.
British architect David Adjaye is responsible for the Center’s creative design, including its color schemes; the American designer David Small developed its hi-tech installations. The Nobel Peace Center is financed by the Norwegian Ministry of Culture, private sponsors and admission fees. Temporary exhibitions are fully sponsored.
The area contained shipyards and engineering industry – Aker Mekaniske Verksted AS – until 1982.The construction of Aker Brygge was carried out in four steps by the realtors Aker Eiendom AS. A few old industrial buildings were demolished, while several of the major workshop halls were rebuilt as shopping areas. The first step of the construction was finished in 1986, with Telje, Torp and Aasen as architects. The fourth and final construction, the Storebrand insurance building facing Munkedamsveien, was completed in 1998. The area consists of a shopping center with shops and restaurants, a cinema, office space, and apartments. Additionally, there is a small boat harbour, and a terminal for the ferries to Nesodden. The area measures 260,000 m2.
Today, about 6,000 people work in Aker Brygge and approximately 900 people have their homes here.
This Information has been taken from Wikipedia.